Friday, May 30, 2008

Assignment 2-2 Icon Analysis



The first pop culture icon I chose was Ronald McDonald. He’s the mascot for McDonald’s fast food restaurants. McDonald’s is really popular with little kids, and Ronald McDonald is the face of McDonald’s for children. All of their playgrounds, happy meals, and any other child related offerings feature Ronald and his pals as the theme. Even the charity McDonald’s founded for family housing while a loved one is in a children’s hospital is named after Ronald.

Picture taken from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_McDonald on May 29,'08


The second one I chose was the Nintendo DS. This portable video game system is not only marketed for children but for adults as well. This is one of the first portables that offer a variety of programming for adults. Whether it be brain building or adult themed games, the DS offers a number of games aimed just at their adult audience. With its pen shaped stylus it has a wider range of possibilities for game play. Especially with the brain building games, the DS has learned to recognize numbers and letters, allowing the user to input their answers with the pen rather than pushing a button to select an answer from a multiple choice. I even had to go buy one for myself. I <3 that it came in pink. :D
Picture Taken from a search result linking to Circuit City's website.
The third pop culture icon I chose is the "totally organic" Clairol Herbal Essences commercials where women moan and make a lot of noise while taking a shower. I still think of that commercial every time I go by an Herbal Essences product. I tend to ask my boyfriend if he will be moaning like that if he uses this product. Hahaha I doubt that I’m the only one that remembers this commercial line. It was extremely memorable.
Here's a link to one of the commercials on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkD6EmeDYOY


No comments: